The mission of the Associate of Applied Science program in Web Design & Interactive Media is to prepare student competent in interface design, visual design, and web technology.
Desired Student Outcomes
1. Communication: Graduates will possess visual, written, and oral communication skills that enable them to create web and media vehicles that effectively deliver messages to intended audiences and the skill to communicate effectively with prospective employers, colleagues, and clients.
2. Information technology: Graduates will have skills in file structure, digital information, media formats, computer applications, and basic knowledge of database design.
3. Design: Graduates will apply the principles, technical skills, and terminology of image manipulation and web design.
4. Problem-solving: Graduates will possess the creative design skills to conceptualize, develop, and evaluate web pages and problem solving skills that result in interface designs satisfactory to the client.
5. Professionalism: Graduates will have developed professional awareness and a high standard of ethics.
The Associate of Applied Science program in Web Design & Interactive Media begins with a foundation in basic design skills including drawing, perspective, composition, color theory, and image manipulation. Coursework continues with techniques of interactive systems development using accepted tools of the industry. At the end of the program, students complete a portfolio that represents their expertise.
To receive an Associate of Applied Science degree in Web Design & Interactive Media, students must complete a minimum of 90 quarter-credits with 24 quarter-credits in general education courses and 66 in the specialty area with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. The entire program includes 1342 clock hours, comprised of 638 lecture hours, 704 lab hours, and no internship or practicum hours. Also a student must receive a passing grade or credit for all required course work and satisfy all portfolio requirements including participation in the Senior Portfolio Show and satisfy all financial obligations to The Illinois Institute of Art.