Baking skills with a side of culinary arts describes the dish offered in this associate’s degree program. From soup to sabayon and marinades to mousses, the exacting creative expression that characterizes the well rounded pastry chef who fits in every part of the demanding culinary profession. The associate’s degree program is designed to prepare students to seek entry-level employment in the professional foodservice industry. Students have the opportunity to develop competencies in the art of baking, cake decoration, artisan breads, desserts and plating, with the addition of culinary skills, and business courses. Considerations must also be made in the kitchen to maximize efficiency - when preparing a large quantity of cakes, breads and pastries for a big group, time, as well as taste, is of the essence. The Art Institutes International Minnesota prepares individuals for this technical specialty in its Baking & Pastry associate’s degree program
PROGRAM STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
1. Graduates will demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain safety and sanitation procedures.
2. Graduates will demonstrate the ability to prepare standardized recipes using a variety of cooking, baking and pastry techniques as well as appropriate equipment and tools.
3. Graduates will demonstrate the ability to produce various baked goods and a variety of international and classical pastries and desserts using basic as well as advanced techniques, which meet industry quality standards.
4. Graduates will demonstrate the ability to design, produce, assemble and decorate display and wedding cakes using various finishing methods which meet industry quality standards.
5. Graduates will demonstrate proficiency with common business practices within the foodservice industry including inventory, menu planning, cost control and food purchasing.