The Bachelor’s degree in Photography is designed to reflect both the breadth of skills needed by students to meet the demands of a rapidly changing marketplace and the continued impact of technology on commercial photography. This course of study is designed to build a strong technical and creative foundation by increasing the student’s level of skill in areas such as digital color management, digital asset management, lighting, composition, and image manipulation. Students can supplement this foundation by developing their expertise in a range of related skills in HTML, Web, and video.
Courses in business fundamentals, operations, marketing, and electives on special topics round out the program and are designed to enhance a student’s marketability. Photography combines the artistry and the expertise needed to present the images we see in newspapers and books, and on billboards and Web sites. It involves composition and light, plus a wide array of technical skills which include using digital imaging software. It all comes together in the areas of commercial photography, electronic imaging and photojournalism. Whether the work is done in a studio or on the street, the range of photography assignments and projects is extensive. Wherever you land, you’ll have the opportunity to communicate with compelling visual images.
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates should be able to:
• Professional Presentation - Graduates will be able to produce a portfolio of original work for current media and multiple platforms, demonstrating industry standards, personal interest and career specialization
• Critical T hinking - Graduates will be able to articulate how they place themselves and their work within a historical and cultural context
• Visual Communication - Graduates will be able to use problem-solving processes to produce visually compelling imagery reflective of their personal styles and visions
• Business Skills - Graduates will demonstrate the ability to conceptualize, plan and implement marketing strategies and a business model reflective of industry standards, while demonstrating personal motivation and ethical practices
• Knowledge - Graduates will demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of the theory of applied photography and demonstrate practical technical excellence gained in their various areas of photographic studies
• Digital Skills - Graduates demonstrate the ability to use photographic equipment and software correctly, including proper usage of image manipulation and digital illustration