The Interior Design Bachelor’s Program is rich in theory and practice. The focus on theory at the beginning of the program articulates the guiding principles which provide the foundation for the hands-on application of design concepts. Students develop abilities in all aspects of the design of three-dimensional space, residential and commercial, rooted in historical and cultural context. They learn to communicate design solutions through a variety of visual media, interface with professionals and manage the business of their profession. Students will develop aesthetic and ethical sensitivities over the course of the program, prepared to seek entry into the fields of commercial and/or residential interior design.
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates should be able to:
• Problem Solving - Graduates will solve complex interior design problems using the design process and their knowledge of interior design principles, theories and applications to analyze the client profile and project program, both individually and collaboratively
• Communication - Graduates will provide interior design services using effective oral, written, and visual communication employing a variety of means, methods and technologies, in both two- and three-dimensions
• Building Systems - Graduates will produce interior design solutions that constructively integrate with available building, environmental, and property management systems, as well as prevailing standards of use, maintenance and sustainability
• Interior F inish Materials - Graduates will specify and apply to their interior design solutions finish materials that meet prevailing standards of use, maintenance, sustainability, regulatory compliance, and aesthetics
• Professionalism - Graduates will provide professional services based on the interior design body of knowledge with a standard of care that both meets client needs and protects the health, safety, and welfare of the public in an ethical and legal manner resulting from exposure to academic and real-world experiences