New tools for content creation are continually rising on the digital landscape. Today’s content developer must be able to navigate this world with confidence. This bachelor’s program will provide the student with the knowledge, critical thinking and organizational skills necessary for a safe, creative, and productive journey. Advances in high definition video, storage area networks, and software toolsets have brought about new competencies, enhanced quality, and improved workflow within the digital filmmaking and video production field. With this in mind, the Digital Filmmaking & Video Production bachelor’s program will offer the student a relevant curricula to meet the needs of industry, while creating an environment conducive to helping students grow intellectually and creatively to meet the demands of tomorrow’s marketplace.
Students will learn to formulate, construct, and deliver digital audio, video and motion graphics. Media production industries need employees who have the talent for creative design, the abilities to use new technology, and the skills to effectively present content. Graduates of the Digital Filmmaking & Video Production program will apply the emerging digital production techniques to the changing world of mass communication while maintaining high standards of artistic expression.
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates should be able to:
• Producing & Directing: Graduates will demonstrate the ability to conceptualize, plan and execute different styles of media productions. Graduates will demonstrate an understanding of their leadership and collaborative responsibilities in relationship to artistic partners, crews, clients, the wider community and their own personal development
• Writing & Critical T hinking: Graduates will demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate ideas, stories and expectations in written work. Graduates will have an understanding of the historical, cultural and social contexts for moving images
• Cinematography & L ighting: Graduates will demonstrate control of camera, cinematic and lighting equipment in relation to a given subject
• Sound: Graduates will demonstrate control of audio recording and sound equipment in a variety of applications. Graduates will show ability to create a meaningful relationship between image and sound
• Editing & Post-Production: Graduates will demonstrate appropriate skill in editing with attention to duration, shot to shot relation, shot to scene and relation to the whole. Graduates will demonstrate a basic understanding of design principles in use of typography, motion graphics and animation, as well as compositing and image processing skills (where applicable)
• Professionalism: Graduates present and conduct themselves professionally and demonstrate an understanding of specific career paths, job responsibilities, and industry expectations