Baking & Pastry Certificate students are given the opportunity to obtain a foundational knowledge and skills in the fundamental techniques and theories of the baking and pastry arts and in industry practices. Through applied coursework and hands-on experiences, students may build the necessary skills and abilities to confidently meet the challenges of the baking, pastry and foodservice industry. The curriculum is based on classical principles emphasizing modern techniques and trends in both the classroom and the kitchen. Students are prepared to seek entry-level employment in the culinary industry such as entry-level pastry cooks, entry-level bakers, entry prep cooks, and entry-level line cooks.
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates should be able to:
• Establish and maintain safety and sanitation procedures
• Prepare standardized recipes using a variety of cooking, baking and pastry techniques as well as appropriate equipment and tools
• Produce various baked goods and a variety of international and classical pastries and desserts using basic as well as advanced techniques, which meet industry quality standards
• Design, produce, assemble and decorate display and wedding cakes using various finishing methods which meet industry quality standards
• Seek employment in retail, commercial and institutional food service settings in entry-level job positions