Students have the opportunity to learn skills in management, marketing, human resources, accounting, and financial management. They can also become savvy in business communications, beverage management, legal issues, customer service, and global management and operations as they relate to the food industry. Developing managerial and leadership skills are important factors for students graduating in the program. The Restaurant & Catering Management program culminates with a Capstone project. This project consists of a complete business plan to open a restaurant that seats at least 100 guests, and two complete catered event plans.
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates should be able to:
• Describe and perform business and operational tasks related to the culinary industry such as food and beverage purchasing, cost control, quality control, staff management, and marketing
• Demonstrate proficiency with accounting and financial management needs of the culinary industry
• Develop strong leadership and managerial skills
• Demonstrate a variety of cooking techniques that meet industry standards
• Analyze and plan for various dining room service needs including the execution of a food buffet
• Complete a business plan for a 100 seat restaurant and two catered events